Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Setting up a dumbbell part 1

Working a dumbbell is the first advice I give to any new carrier. This one simple strategy that works with van, reefer, and flatbed, no matter where you live it works. You will increase your rates, become more efficient, and grow your company when you focus on setting up the dumbbell.

The meaning of a dumbbell that I am talking about is getting a load going from point A to point B and from point B another load back to point A.

Establishing this dumbbell can be challenging. You will have to work it until it comes together. You will be tempted to forget it when other higher paying spot market loads pop up. 

Let me show you some easy, simple ways to start your dumbbell. I live in Lexington, KY and I like being home every night or as much as I can. So I am going to find brokers that have loads back to Lexington.
Circle 8 is burning up this lane, and I like the broker too. They have posted 559 loads out Elkhart, IN market to my hometown Lexington just in the past 30 days. Ok now, can I find something that goes back to Elkhart?

Look what I found, another good broker R2 and Hub group with a combined 38 loads going to the Elkhart Market in the past 30 days. I am already setup with both of these brokers, now all I have to do is find the agent that is working these lanes and try to get in on the loop. Before I do that, let's see what these lanes are paying.
 
If I can average $2 per mile, then I am good. I will do a part 2 of this blog later, this should be easy to understand how to use DAT tools to get better loads and how to build dumbells.

If you like this blog and you are currently not a DAT TruckersEdge load board subscriber use promo721 or the link below to join for 30 days free. All of the information above has been generated by the service of this DAT load board.
    

1 comment:

  1. Great content - I am going to try this. Do you have any tips for when one anchor of your dumbell is dry?

    ReplyDelete